The Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) number is a unique identifier used to verify your business's identity and legal status—essentially, it shows Apple that your business is legitimate and should be permitted to publish on their platform. These numbers are automatically issued by a company called Dun & Bradstreet to eligible businesses; if you've registered as a legal entity in the past, then it's possible a D-U-N-S number has already been assigned to you.
You probably won't know your D-U-N-S number, or even if your business has one, and that's okay—they're free to acquire and take mere minutes to look up through Apple's website.
Here's what to do:
- Visit the Look up your D-U-N-S Number website provided by Apple.
- Log in using your business's Apple ID.
- Complete the form, and click Continue at the bottom.
- If your business was found, select it from the list and click Continue once more.
- Now check your email for a message from firstname.lastname@example.org—it should arrive within a few minutes.
What if my business wasn't found?
If your business wasn't found, you can request a D-U-N-S number directly from the "Your organization was not found" screen.
Apple will automatically fill this application with the information you provided on the previous page—you just need to verify the details are correct and submit the form. If you need to make any changes to the form, simply go back to the previous page and re-enter your information.
What to expect when requesting a D-U-N-S number
Here's what you should know about requesting a D-U-N-S number:
- Registering with Dun & Bradstreet is free.
- After requesting a number, it may take up to five days to receive it from Dun & Bradstreet.
- Note: If you've waited five days, and haven't received a reply, please contact Dun & Bradstreet at (800) 234-3867 to check on the status of your request.
- Once your number is received, it may take an additional two days for Apple to receive your registration information.
- Apple provides a brief overview of this process here.
Given this timeline, we recommend allotting at least one week between requesting a D-U-N-S number and registering with Apple. Because we are relying on both Dun & Bradstreet and Apple to complete this process in a prompt manner, MINDBODY will be unable to assist you during this time.